Falls from height remain a prime cause of deaths in the workplace and every system that improves safe working at height is to be welcomed.
Using guard rails on all open sides and wearing harnesses kept in good condition are important safety practices but probably the biggest contributor to improved safety has been the advent of work platforms to reach higher levels. These can be in the form of hydraulic access platforms such as scissor lifts and boom lifts, or non-powered structures that are assembled on site to provide quick, safe access to rooflines.
A variable height platform used with ladders and walkways has big time advantages over traditional scaffolding and can be moved around a site with ease.
Featured Company – Easi-Dec Access Systems Ltd
Among the innovative safe working at height solutions offered by Easi-Dec are a range of versatile access platforms.
Like all the company’s equipment, the work platforms comply with all current regulations, are robust enough to take site knocks, yet are simple to use.
The platforms are used by roofing contractors, installers of guttering, fascias, solar panels and windows and maintenance contractors for the social housing sector, among others. The original Easi-Dec system, a cost effective alternative to scaffolding ideal for repair jobs, has been expanded into products to meet the specific needs of various applications.
Easi-Dec comprises a 2m long platform on aluminium telescopic legs. Comprising just eight lightweight components, it is easily transported by van and quickly assembled on site, without tools. The system provides a fully certified, stable work platform that enables safe access to roof line level while spanning obstructions such as bay windows. Its legs can be individually adjusted for uneven ground. For a single worker, the smaller Mono-Dec is an ideal product for reaching soffits or higher level brickwork.
Guarded walkways can be used to link Easi-Dec platforms. The Trimline system with catwalk and safety gates is particularly suitable for maintenance of domestic fascias, soffits and guttering, offering a much safer alternative to ladders, yet is erected in minutes.
To see the full range of Easi-Dec access solutions, visit the website
Where to buy work platforms
- Dura Composites Ltd - Unit 14, Gorse Lane Industrial Estate, Telford Road, Clacton On Sea, Essex, CO15 4LP, 01255 423601
- Instant UpRight - Unit S1, Friel Avenue, Parkwest Industrial Park, Nangor Road, Dublin, County Dublin, 12, +353 (0) 1 620 9300
- Invicta Forks & Attachments - Westland Square, Dewsbury Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS11 5SS, 0113 277 1222
- Workplace Products - Merryhills House, Middlemore Lane West, Aldridge, West Midlands, WS9 8BG, 01922 743833
- Key Industrial Equipment Ltd - Key Industrial Equipment Ltd, Blackmoor Road, Ebblake Industrial Estate, Verwood, Dorset, BH31 6AT, 0845 6040660