Avoiding Flood Heartache
Hundreds of homeowners can testify to the devastation and heartache flooding can bring. With weather patterns becoming more unpredictable and flash flooding occurring in areas not traditionally deemed at risk, there is more and more demand for products that can protect against water surges.
Any flood barriers designed for home use need to be easy to use and the frame unobtrusive when the barrier is not in place. Kitemarked products give the buyer reassurance the system has been fully tested under exacting conditions. Using well proven barriers can lead to lower insurance premiums.
It is not just entrance doors that need protecting from floodwater. Patio doors and garage doors are just as vulnerable, so any barrier system should come in sizes for wide openings, without being too heavy for the user to handle.
Featured Company – Flood Ark
All Flood Ark protection systems are expertly manufactured to the highest standards and carry the BSI Kitemark for testing to PAS1188. The company has more than a decade’s experience in flood protection and its guaranteed systems have been proven effective in major flood episodes across the UK.
The system comprises an aluminium frame permanently fitted to the fabric of the building, with strong but lightweight upvc boards that can be added one at a time as flood waters rise. The frame is bespoke made to the exact profile of the building, ensuring the best possible fit. The boards are attached in a way that prevents them being dislodged by items such as branches in the water and the system has been tested to be impact proof.
A key to the performance of Flood Ark’s system is the use of closed cell silicone sponge technology. The closed cell silicone seals are impervious to weathering, ultra-violet light, saline, alkali and acid solutions and do not suffer from the compression problems associated with rubber based products and neoprene.
The system is tailor made to suit each opening and everything from a single door to a driveway can be protected. Doors up to 2500 mm can be covered in a single span, but wider openings can be accommodated by using a removable centre post. For garages and gateways, a removable, galvanised cover plate is used in order to maintain vehicular access.
Installation is carried out by Flood Ark’s skilled teams, leaving the homeowner to simply put the boards in place when the need arises.
Flood Ark prides itself on the quality of its products and customer service and is happy to advise on the options available for protecting all areas of the home or garden. Contact details are on the website.
Where to buy domestic flood barriers
- Aquobex - Building 69, Building Research Establishment, Bucknalls Lane, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD25 9XX, 0192 351 8582
- Caro Group - Edge Barn, 11 Market Hill, Royston, Hertfordshire, SG8 9JN, 01763 244446
- Flood Ark Ltd - The Forge, The Street, Lyng, Norwich, Norfolk, NR9 5QZ, 01603 879977
- Floodgate Limited - 49/51 Lammas Street, Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire, SA31 3AL, 01267 234205
- The Flood Company Commercial Ltd - Lunnclough House, 10 Kaffir Road, Edgerton, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD2 2AN, 08455 050 2202
- Flood Control International Ltd - Kilworthy Park, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 0FZ, 01822 619730
- Defence Doors Ltd - Unit 4 Abraxus Court, Lancaster Road, Carnaby Industrial Estate, Carnaby, North Yorkshire, YO15 3QY, 07912 677 302;01262 490 219
- ASD Architectural - 901 Herries Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S6 1QH, 0114 2345288
- UK Flood Barriers Ltd - 9A Wassage Way, Hampton Lovett, Droitwich, Worcestershire, WR9 0NX, 01905 773282
- Flooding Solutions - 2 Carline Mead, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3 2NB, 01423 851 587