Modern Roof Lanterns for Light without Heat Loss
The benefits of natural light are well documented. Sunlight lifts everyone’s spirits and natural daylight has been shown to boost productivity. With today’s emphasis on cutting carbon emissions, reducing reliance on artificial light is also a big consideration. Roof lanterns are a stylish way of introducing natural light into any area with a flat roof.
Roof lanterns have been around as an architectural feature for centuries, but in the early years were only for the wealthy who could cope with the costs of maintenance and heat loss. That is no longer the case, with advances in glazing and sealing techniques, insulated glass, low-maintenance frame materials and self-cleaning glass making these attractive structures accessible to all.
Popular for kitchen extensions and orangeries, roof lanterns can transform any room with a flat roof and add a wow factor to new builds or existing structures. Most are manufactured from aluminium or hardwood and they can incorporate manual or electrically operated sashes or skylights. Aluminium has sleek, clean lines and offers strength within slim profiles. Quality hardwood has the traditional look.
Featured Company – Lumina Design
Roof lanterns manufactured to BBA standards and sold at trade prices are a speciality ofLumina Design. The company offers a range of products to suit every build and budget, all incorporating up to the minute technology.
The company has over 25 years of experience in the manufacturing industry and has the knowledge to recommend solutions tailored to specific requirements. All Lumina Design lantern roofs are made to order using thermally efficient aluminium that offers impressive U values and ultra low sightlines. There is a choice of uPVC clad or powder coated aluminium ranges.
High performing argon gas-filled double glazing is standard and triple glazing is an option. Self-cleaning glass is used with colour choices of clear, neutral or blue. The Classic and Slimline ranges of lantern are offered in a wide range of sizes with cresting and cap options to suit modern or traditional properties.
Lumina Design is happy to give advice on the right roof lantern for any project and is committed to customer satisfaction. For further information or to contact the company, visit the website.
Where to buy roof lanterns
- Glazing Vision Ltd - Sawmills Road, Diss, Norfolk, IP22 4RG, 0333 8000 881
- Reflex Glass - 1 Pinfold Road, Thurmaston, Leicester, Leicestershire, LE4 8AS, 0116 269 6297
- Trade Conservatories 2 U Ltd - 36 Temple Way, Blackwater Park, Maldon, Essex, CM9 4PX, 01621 852200
- The Rooflight Company - Wychwood Business Centre, Milton Road, Shipton-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire, OX7 6XU, 01993 833108
- Howells Patent Glazing Ltd - Triton Works, Woods Lane, Cradley Heath, Warley, West Midlands, B64 7AN, 01384 820060
- Natralight - Unit 5, Exchange Works, Kelvin Way, West Bromwich, West Midlands, B70 7JW, 0121 553 2300
- Aluminium By Design - Units 4 + 5 White Road, Charfleets Industrial Estate, Canvey Island, Essex, SS8 0PQ, 01268 511137
- Lumina Design - 7 Swn-y-afon, Kensig Hill, Bridgend, Bridgend, CF33 6AJ, 01656 630037
- Global Skylights - Orion House, 14 Barn Hill, Stamford, Lincolnshire, PE9 2AE, 01780 243 243
- Lonsdale Metal Company Ltd - Unit 40, Millmead Industrial Centre, Mill Mead Road, London, Greater London, N17 9QU, 020 8801 4221
- Westbury Garden Rooms Ltd - Saltcoates, Cutlers Road, South Woodham Ferrers, Essex, CM3 5XJ, 01245 326500
- Slimline Glazing and Aluminium Systems - 145 - 147 St Johns Street, London, Greater London, EC1V 4PW, 0800 195 6593
How heavy is a 3m x 4m roof lantern and what size roof joist would i need to use?
The weight would depend on whether the lantern was constructed of timber or aluminium. I would recommend that you contact one of the roof lantern companies featured above for specific advice on joists and installation. Prestige Roof Lanterns specialise in DIY hardwood lanterns and Mark can be contacted for advice on 01296 714314. Reflex Glass on 0116 2696297 also
offers general advice and information on their comprehensive range of aluminium lanterns.
Debbie Prince - The Construction Centre