Top Roofing Choices
Roofs are arguably one of the most important parts of any structure, yet most people take little notice of them unless something goes wrong. Although not generally thought of as glamorous, roofs can be created in a surprising range of designs and the choice of roofing materials is very wide.
Thatched roofs may present the quintessential image of the British countryside, but they are very much in the minority and for most homes or business properties, the choice of product for a pitched roof is between tile and slate. But within these categories there are several options. In addition to traditional clay tiles, natural stone and slate, there are now roofing tiles made of steel or concrete. These offer strength with the benefit of lighter weight, saving on transport and labour costs.
Featured Company – Forticrete
Among the architectural masonry products manufactured by Forticrete are innovative roofing tiles that replicate traditional tiles and slate, but with significant improvements.
All Forticrete roofing products are extremely cost-effective, manufactured to the highest quality standards and fully guaranteed. They carry the prestigious BS Kitemark and many have the ECOTILE or ECOSLATE trademarks demonstrating the company’s commitment to environmentally-friendly products and processes.
Ranges include the popular Gemini (pictured), a double cambered plain tile suitable for pitches down to 22.5˚ that offers weight reduction benefits and savings on roof battens and trusses as well as on fixing costs. Features include hidden fixings, 10 colours and a 60-year product integrity guarantee. There is also a Gemini Traditional Sandfaced range with a subtle weathered finish.
Centurion 10 is a concrete tile for low pitch applications with decades of proven effectiveness against the elements. For ultimate strength, there is the re-engineered V2 range, offering exceptional resistance to wind, rain and ice and a 60-year product integrity guarantee.
The Senator is a smooth pantile for a traditional simple profile and Forticrete also makes plain tiles for vertical hanging.
Slate ranges include the Minislate, offering the aesthetic appeal of natural slate in three colours, with the simple fixing benefits of an interlocking tile. Long-established Hardrow Slates have the appearance of stone (left) and are through coloured in a wide choice of single or blended shades. They have proven durability with exceptional water resistance.
For full information of the roofing ranges and fixings, visit the website.
Where to buy roofing
- Grace Construction Products - 580/581 Ipswich Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4EQ, 01753 490 000
- DFR Roofing Ltd - Douglas House, Weston Park Road, Peverell, Plymouth, Devon, PL3 4NU, 01752 255616
- Architectural Profiles Ltd - Cockayne House, 126-128 Crockhamwell Road, Woodley, Reading, Berkshire, RG5 3JH, 0118 927 2424
- Euroclad Ireland - Unit 4, Newhall Industrial Estate, Nass, County Kildare, +353 (0) 45 435 570
- Euro Clad Ltd - Wentloog Corporate Park, Wentloog Road, Cardiff, CF3 2ER, 02922 010101
- Proctor Group UK Ltd - The Haugh, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, PH10 7ER, 01250 872261
- Thermal Economics Ltd - Thermal House, 8 Cardiff Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 1PP, 01582 450814
- Forticrete - Boss Avenue, Off Grovebury Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 4SD, 01525 244900
- Metrotile UK Ltd - Unit 3, Sheldon Business Park, Sheldon Corner, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN14 0RQ, 01249 658514
- SWS (GB) Ltd - 37 Berwick Close, Walton, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S40 3NY, 01246 551260
- Ash & Lacy Building Systems Ltd - Bromford Lane, West Bromwich, West Midlands, B70 7JJ, 0121 525 1444
- Kalzip Ltd - Haydock Lane, Haydock, St Helens, Merseyside, WA11 9TY, 01942 295 500
- Alumasc Exterior Building Products Ltd - White House Works, Bold Road, Sutton, St Helens, Merseyside, WA9 4JG, 01744 648400
- Fforest Timber Engineering Ltd - Kestrel Way, Garngoch Industrial Estate, Gorseinon, Swansea, SA4 9WN, 01792 895620
- Skanda (UK) Limited - 67 Clywedog Road North, Wrexham Industrial Estate, Wrexham, LL13 9XN, 01978 664 255