Types and Designs
Staircases were once seen as just a means to an end – a way of getting to upper floors – and little thought was given to the aesthetics. Aristocratic homes used to be the only places where a grand staircase was an attractive feature; but with changing times and modern technology, staircase design has come to the fore in all sorts of homes.
Stunning staircases are often a central feature of a Grand Designs-style contemporary home and reflect the personality of the property’s owner. A handcrafted bespoke staircase can be a true work of art and creates the right impression for clients of a prestige business.
Timber continues to be the most popular material and can be beautifully shaped into individual designs; but glass and steel are increasingly playing a role.
Professional joinery companies and staircase specialists understand the need to involve the client at all stages and to complete the project without any fuss and with minimal disruption.
Featured Company – Haldane
With a long history as a specialist wood machining company, Haldane has progressed to become a market leader in staircases and handrails for trade and domestic customers.
Haldane’s state of the art CNC machinery enables the company to manufacture handrails and stair components in all sorts of shapes, profiles and lengths with extreme accuracy. The highly skilled teams of craftsmen work with interior designers and architects on contracts across the UK and abroad. Prestigious projects completed include Windsor Castle, Eurodisney and a number of major shopping centres.
For domestic customers, Haldane is able to provide the technical help to turn their dream staircase into reality. Oak, walnut and cherry are among the beautiful timbers used. Metal or glass balustrades can be incorporated if required, along with lighting. Whether looking for a complete refurbishment or just to replace individual components, Haldane can help to create a spectacular staircase that adds value to a home.
Haldane offers a special service to housebuilders aimed at providing an exclusively designed staircase in any timber they specify, presented in plots for easier contract management.
The company continues to invest and has redesigned its manufacturing and administration processes to ensure optimum efficiency which enables trade clients to receive truly competitive lead times. Quality and customer service are paramount with every contract, whatever the size.
To see examples of stunning staircases from Haldane, visit the website.
Where to buy staircases
- ACP (Concrete) Ltd (Flooring Division) - Risehow Industrial Estate, Flimby, Maryport, Cumbria, CA15 8PD, 01900 814659
- Excel Stairs - Handrail House, Unit 2, Nobel Road, Eley Estate, Edmonton, Greater London, N18 3BH, 020 8807 7576
- Coltman Precast Concrete Ltd - London Road, Canwell, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, B75 5SX, 01543 480482
- Benlowe Stairs - Coppice Side Industrial Estate, Engine Lane, Brownhills, West Midlands, WS8 7ES, 01543 375200
- EeStairs UK Ltd - Unit 3,, The Old Printworks, 20 Wharf Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 3AW, 01323 646 904
- JELD-WEN UK Ltd - Retford Road, Woodhouse Mill, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S13 9WH, 0845 122 2890
- Fivestars Limited - The Workshop, Ashley Lane, New Milton, Hampshire, BH25 5AQ, 01425 611112
- Round Wood of Mayfield - Newick Lane, Mayfield, East Sussex, TN20 6RG, 01435 867072
- British Spirals & Castings - Harding Sales Ltd, Peak Building, Eccles Road, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, SK23 9RQ, 01663 750716
- Ramsay Access - 61 West High Street, Forfar, Angus, DD8 1BH, 01307 462255
- STS Contracts - No 1 The Crossroads, Gillingham, Dorset, SP8 5LF, 01747 838038
- Arborfield Joinery Co Ltd - Unit G, Weller Drive, Hogwood Lane Industrial Estate, Finchampstead, Berkshire, RG40 4QZ, 01189 735210